Inforce Computing Forums

inforce computing forums to discuss about inforce products

No graphical login after reboot

Questions and discussions related to Inforce 6410Plus

by tfoote » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:06 pm

Possibly related to my other thread.

There's not gnome login screen after my last reboot. I left the machine running over the weekend and rebooted this morning, after verifying everything was running fine. I wanted to debug the high load average I've observed immediately following boot, and the GUI never came up.

I can log in via text console.

Display console 8 is only displaying the following error, and no GUI:
Code: Select all
[drm:mdp4_irq_error_handler] *ERROR* errors: 00000400

Although there's no login prompt but I can x-forward displays just fine over ssh.

I've seen the lack of GUI login in the past but was reimaging the machine anyway so didn't look into it.

My full syslog of this boot is here: https://gist.github.com/tfoote/6fae5faec214d58665c7
tfoote

by tfoote » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:07 pm

After over an hour the GUI login did come up. I don't know exactly when but I observed it at 1:18 after boot.

tfoote@linaro-gnome:~$ uptime
 21:21:30 up  1:18,  4 users,  load average: 7.91, 7.41, 7.15

After logging in it went to a completely blank screen again.

tfoote@linaro-gnome:~$ uptime
 22:44:23 up  2:41,  4 users,  load average: 8.01, 8.04, 8.05

At this point it's still not logging in.

After waiting this long I tried to quitting and rebooting:

It showed the same behavior.

My second test board is exhibiting the same behavior with the super high load average and no gui login screen. This one does not have the SD card, and only has the IFC6410+ image and my wifi debugging tools.
tfoote

by Sundeep » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi Tully,
The issue you describe about not seeing the login prompt is very similar to something that we received from another user on techsupport. The issue was attributed to a faulty HDMI cable and was resolved when the HDMI cable was changed. Please try with a different cable.

Cheers,
Sundeep
Sundeep

by tfoote » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:32 pm

I've seen the problem with a bad HDMI cable. That has different symptoms where I get the gui, but it's on the other display. In that case I could login blind by knowing the key presses. In that case I was able to see the mouse moving around. In this case the mouse is not being rendered.

Just in case I bought a brand new HDMI cable and plugged it in. I'm seeing the same behavior. In this gist you can see the entire dmesg and recent outputs from syslog

https://gist.github.com/tfoote/e9ca93f875102f7cf03f

I've waited over an hour for the gui to show up. Eventually I saw this error on the screen "[drm:mdp4_irq_error_handler] *ERROR* errors: 00000400"

It also appeared on tty1 and you'll see it in the dmesg and syslogs in the gist.
tfoote

by ashwin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi Tully

I've noticed that on enabling wifi and on reboot the GUI goes blank after login. This could be the issue that you are describing. If so then its not a fault with the HDMI cable.

For the time being you can use the 1.0 release. This issue is absent on this release.

Cheers
Ashwin P
ashwin

by Sundeep » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:27 pm

Please use the attached patch for fixing this issue.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sundeep

Return to INFORCE 6410PLUS™

Contact Us.