Inforce Computing Forums

inforce computing forums to discuss about inforce products

Static IP Address

Questions and discussions related to Inforce 6601™ development kit

by doleszki » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:21 pm

The hard wired Ethernet device which is presented as eth0 in Android is configured for DHCP by default. I do not see any settings options in Network Settings that allow me to change the configuration for eth0 to a static IP address.

If I use ifconfig on the android shell I can get it a static ip address configured but it's not persistent across reboots. Additionally, if the network that the device is plugged into has a DHCP server, the DHCP client on Android will take over the IP address in short order.

I tried adding in my ifconfig commands in /persist/eth0.sh but they do not work. I confirmed my script is written correctly by running it after boot. I think that after the eth0.sh script runs the network manager wipes the settings during the boot process.
doleszki

by ashwin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:30 am

You can try adding the commands to the init script.

Best Regards,
Ashwin
ashwin

by doleszki » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:25 am

As stated in the original post, adding statements to the init script didn't work as the settings got overwritten by some network management service. I figured out how to do it by creating an ipconfig.txt file that is placed at /data/misc/ethernet/ipconfig.txt. Users can refer to https://github.com/jhswartz/ipconfigstore.git for code to write their own ipconfig.txt files.

I also had to update the firewall rules to let users other than root route out from the device.
$ ip rule add from all lookup main pref 99
Does the trick but again I couldn't figure out the right init file to put it in so that it didn't get overwritten by the android services.

I ended up just changing the code in netd to let all users route out. This is probably not the best solution but it got me going for the time being.

<aosp>/system/netd
Code: Select all
diff --git a/server/RouteController.cpp b/server/RouteController.cpp
index 26e8407..a4e5978 100644
--- a/server/RouteController.cpp
+++ b/server/RouteController.cpp
@@ -701,7 +701,7 @@ WARN_UNUSED_RESULT int addDirectlyConnectedRule() {
     mask.netId = FWMARK_NET_ID_MASK;

return modifyIpRule(RTM_NEWRULE, RULE_PRIORITY_DIRECTLY_CONNECTED, RT_TABLE_MAIN,
-                        fwmark.intValue, mask.intValue, IIF_NONE, OIF_NONE, UID_ROOT, UID_ROOT);
+                        fwmark.intValue, mask.intValue, IIF_NONE, OIF_NONE, INVALID_UID, INVALID_UID);
 }

// Add an explicit unreachable rule close to the end of the prioriy list to make it clear that[/list]
doleszki

Return to INFORCE 6601™ DEVELOPMENT KIT

Contact Us.